For the BBQ sauce
30g grated ginger
150g soy sauce
250g tomato ketchup
200g cider vinegar
2 whole star anise
2g ground five spice
2g smoked paprika
1. Place all ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer and reduce by half. This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to a week before using.
For the ribs
4 racks of baby back pork ribs
1 head of garlic
A few springs of thyme
2. Place the ribs in a deep oven tray or pot and cover with the water.
3. Roughly chop the shallot and garlic and add the water along with the thyme and salt.
4. Wrap the tray with a double layer of tin foil and seal well. Cook at 160oc for 2.5 hours.
6. Leave to cool overnight in the liquor before removing the ribs.
7. Place ribs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Liberally apply two thirds of the BBQ sauce to the ribs. Cook ribs in a preheated oven at 180oc for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes baste the ribs with the remaining BBQ sauce and cook for another 5 minutes. Leave to rest for 5 minutes before eating