Our ultimate roast chicken recipe. Crispy skin and tender meat every time.
For the brine
1 head of garlic
10g white peppercorns
A few springs of thyme and rosemary
2 bay leaves
200g table salt
1. Add all the ingredients to 1 ltr of the water and bring to the boil to dissolve the salt and infuse with the garlic and herbs.
2. Once fully dissolved add the remaining 3 lts of water to cool the brine down. Leave to cool to room temperature before using
For the chicken
1.5kg Whole chicken
3. Use a pot or bowl that is just big enough to fit the chicken into and has room at the top to cover the chicken with the brine.
4. Pour the brine over the chicken and leave in the fridge overnight (up to 24 hours).
5. Remove the chicken, pat dry and leave on a rack at room temp to dry for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 220oc. Rub the skin of the chicken with vegetable oil and place in the oven for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes drop the temperature of the oven to 150oc and cook for a further 60-70 minutes.
7. Allow the chicken to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes before carving.