This traditional recipe will give you the perfect roast leg of lamb. Rosemary and garlic go perfectly with lamb and make for a wonderful gravy base.
1 leg of lamb, on the bone 1.5-2kg
10 gloves of garlic, peeled
A few sprigs of rosemary
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- Take the lamb out if the fridge at least one hour before cooking to let it come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- In a large roasting tin, place the chopped carrots, rosemary, and garlic as a trivet for the lamb leg to sit on.
- Oil the lamb all over and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the lamb in the oven for 20 minutes at 200°c to colour.
- After 20 minutes, turn the oven down to 150°c and cook for a further hour and a half for a perfect medium rare. Cook for another 20-30 minutes for medium to well done.
- Take the lamb out of the oven and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving and serving.
- Your vegetable trivet can be used to make a gravy or be served alongside the lamb.