Ready to roast and easy to carve, this is one of the most delicious roasting joints!
1.5–2kg rolled sirloin
Salt and pepper to season
- Heat oven to 200°C/392°F/gas mark 6. Heat the oil or fat in a large roasting tin in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Season the beef all over.
- Place the joint fat-side down in the roasting tin and put it on a high/medium heat, sear to release some of the fat, then turn the beef in the fat to seal and colour all over, about 5 minutes.
- The joint can now be roasted, fat-side up. Refer to the chart below for roasting times, depending on how you like your steak cooked.
- Turn the joint halfway through its cooking time for an even roast. Once cooked, remove the beef from the pan and leave to one side, loosely covered with foil, to rest for 25-30 minutes.
- Medium rare is ideal for a sirloin. The core temperature should be between 131°F and 136°F or 55°C to 57°C.