As part of our Picnic Competition, our head chef Lee and Belazu's in-house Innovation Chef Henry, came together for a scotch egg and sausage roll cook off. Each chef prepared a special recipe using Belazu and HG Walter ingredients and boy were they good!
- 500g minced lamb
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 1 clove of grated garlic
- 50g Belazu Rose harissa
- Half a bunch of chopped coriander
- 3 deseeded and chopped Belazu preserved lemon
- 2 sliced spring onion
- 12g salt
- 8g cracked back pepper
- 250g strong flour
- 225g cold salted butter
- 5g turmeric powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- 40g mixed seeds (cumin, onion and mustard work well)
The puff pastry will take a day to make plus a night to rest overnight in the fridge so make sure you work a day or two ahead.
For the pastry
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, salt, and turmeric. Slowly add the water and mix until you have formed a smooth dough.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Place the butter between two sheets of greaseproof paper and bash it out to form a square roughly 12cm in diameter. Roll the dough out into a circle about 25-30 centimetres in diameter. Place the butter square in the middle of the rolled-out dough and fold each side into the middle, overlapping each time.
- Gently roll to seal the butter in. Take one edge of the pastry and bring it into the middle, folding the other edge over the top so you now have three layers of pastry. Gently roll to seal the sheets together. Cling film and leave to rest on the fridge for at least an hour.
- After an hour, remove the pastry from the fridge and roll it out to the original sheet size and repeat the folding method. You need to do this 3 times and then leave in the fridge overnight, before rolling out into the final sheet of pastry.
- Once rested overnight, cut your pastry into 10cm x 12cm sheets. Place sheets on greaseproof and into the fridge while you make your sausage roll filling.
For the filling
- To make the sausage meat filling mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and weigh out into 110g sausage shaped portions.
- Roll each lamb sausage in a sheet of pastry, using some egg wash to seal where the pastry overlaps. You can cut off any excess pastry if you have too much overlapping. It should only overlap by 1/2cm.
- Place the sausage roll on a tray lined with baking paper. Brush with egg wash and rest in the fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- Take out and brush with a second layer of egg wash before sprinkling over your seed mix.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180oc for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving.