The tomahawk is the ultimate show stopper and was destined for the BBQ. Pair yours with our Chimichurri sauce for a punchy kick!
For your tomahawk
1 Tomahawk steak
50g melted butter
Salt & cracked pepper
1. Take the steak out of the fridge at least one hour before cooking to allow to come to room temperature. This will help give an even cook on the steak.
2. Preheat the BBQ to 300˚C. Once the coals are burning white hot and there are no more flames, push the coals over to one side of the BBQ.
3. Rub the tomahawk with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the steak on the grill, on the side with no coals and close the BBQ lid. Flip the steak every 3-4 minutes for a total of 18-25 minutes, depending on how you like the steak cooked (ideally you would use a temperature probe and look at 55˚C for rare, 58˚C for medium and 62˚C is medium to well).
4. Once cooked remove your tomahawk from the BBQ and brush with the melted butter. Rest for a minimum of 15 minutes, basting with the melted butter and any juices that have come out of the steak. Give a quick 30 second blast over the hot coals on each side just before carving and serving to make sure its nice and hot.
5. Remove the ribeye from the bone, slice against the grain and serve with your chimichurri!
For your Chimichurri
25g picked flat leaf parsley
25g of coriander
25g picked oregano
6 large red chillies
2 cloves peeled garlic
60g olive oil
20g red wine vinegar
10g cracked black pepper
Sea salt to taste
Roughly chop the chilli and garlic and place in a blender with the olive oil and black pepper. Blitz to a smooth paste ensuring there are no large chunks of garlic or chilli. Add the picked herbs and pulse blend to emulsify but not turn into a fine puree. Add the red wine vinegar and season to taste with salt.