Ingredients (Makes 4 Scotch Eggs):
- 5 large free-range eggs
- 250g good-quality sausagemeat
- 1 tsp finely chopped, sweated onions
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 50g plain flour, seasoned
- 100g good quality dried breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Place 4 eggs in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Then cook the eggs for 8-10 mins.
2. While the eggs are cooking, mix the sausage meat with the sweated onions, spring onions, salt and ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 mins.
3. Drain the eggs and cool by placing in an iced bowl of water. Peel. Roll the eggs in the seasoned flour and wrap them in the sausagemeat mix.
4. Dip the scotch eggs in the beaten egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs to coat, put on a plate covered in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up and set..
5. Heat the oil to 180˚C and cook for 8-12 minutes, depending on the size. The breadcrumbs should be nice and crisp with a lovely dark golden colour. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.